Millions of people in Texas ages 12 and up have reported heavy alcohol use, with many more revealing a recent occurrence of binge drinking. This data is concerning since heavy drinking and binge drinking can both increase the risk of alcohol addiction. Some of these individuals may safely cut back their consumption at will, but for others, it will take the assistance of an alcohol detox center to get control of their drinking habits. Finding the right alcohol detox in Texas does not have to be difficult when you know what to look for in a treatment program.
Should You Seek Residential Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder?
Recovering from alcohol use disorder presents a different set of challenges than other types of addiction. For this reason, you may find that residential treatment at an addiction detox center may be the safest and most effective option. When trying to choose an alcohol addiction treatment program, consider the following:
- How long have you been struggling with alcohol abuse? Those who have been dealing with addiction for years may find more success with a residential treatment program.
- How heavy is your drinking? Men who consume five or more drinks per day and women who consume four or more may experience more severe withdrawal symptoms.
- Do others in your household consume alcohol? Living in an environment where there will be alcohol can make addiction treatment extremely challenging.
Heavy or long-term alcohol use will likely require the services of alcohol detox in Texas.
What Are the Dangers of Trying an At-Home Alcohol Detox?
Trying to quit alcohol on your own at home can be tempting, especially if you are concerned about enrolling in a residential treatment program due to financial reasons and work or family obligations. Before you attempt an at-home alcohol detox, you should be aware of some of the potential risks, such as:
- You can experience severe withdrawal symptoms such as seizures and hallucinations.
- Delirium tremens (DTs) can present significant dangers to your nervous system and mental health during detox for those with advanced alcohol addiction. DTs can cause tremors, confusion, drastic mood swings, and excessive sleeping, along with seizures and hallucinations.
- The complications of alcohol withdrawal can also lead to heart, liver, or kidney failure, and ultimately, death.
For the safety of yourself and your loved ones, you may want to avoid trying an at-home alcohol detox, especially if your addiction has been ongoing for years. Age is not a factor in the severity of alcohol withdrawal. Many people who have succumbed to the complications were under the age of 40. Stay safe by getting help from a professional alcohol addiction treatment program.
What to Look for in an Alcohol Detox in Texas
Once you have decided to protect your health by seeking professional help, it is time to find the right alcohol detox in Texas. Here are some tips on what to look for in an effective alcohol detox center:
- Choose a program that offers medically supervised detox. This will provide monitoring around the clock to ensure your safety and comfort. Detox professionals will administer medications as needed to help ease your withdrawal symptoms.
- Find a treatment center that offers dual diagnosis treatment if you are also dealing with co-occurring mental health disorders such as anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder.
- Give priority to detox programs that provide comprehensive treatment. For the most effective recovery experience, you need a combination of medication and therapy.
To achieve the healthy recovery you deserve, put some thought into the alcohol detox program you select. Ensuring that all of your needs are met to heal your mind and body will provide the optimal treatment.
Overcome Alcohol Use Disorder in Texas
When you need alcohol detox in Texas that provides well-rounded treatment consisting of medication, dual diagnosis, and therapies, reach out to your local treatment center. The admissions specialists at the treatment center can verify the availability of these components. With the right treatment, you can begin enjoying lasting sobriety.